Predictions for 2019 New York Jets training camp…
1 – Le’Veon Bell will have a light workload throughout the summer and a quiet overall preseason, leading to what will ultimately prove to be exaggerated concerns about his ability to pick up where he left off. Despite receiving a large workload throughout the summer, Elijah McGuire will only stick on the Jets final 53 if they decide to carry four running backs.
2 – Quinnen Williams will sign his contract by this time next week, missing a few days that ultimately won’t have an impact on how much he plays early in the pre-season and regular season. People will forget he missed any days within a few weeks.
3 – By the first week of September, the Jets will add another veteran tight end and cut ties with Eric Tomlinson. They will also sign another veteran corner and cut ties with Jeremy Clark and Parry Nickerson. Their veteran additions will come via the waiver wire rather than the trade market.4 – Trevor Siemian will easily claim the backup quarterback job and play more than any quarterback in the pre-season. Sam Darnold will barely play or won’t play at all in the first and fourth pre-season games. He will have a strong overall summer and avoid any turnovers the entire pre-season.
5 – Former Mike Maccagnan draft picks Foley Fatukasi, Jeremy Clark, Parry Nickerson, Charone Peake, Trenton Cannon and Blessaun Austin will not make the Jets final 53 man roster. The team will also move on from veteran holdovers Doug Middleton and Brent Qvale.
6 – There will be at least one massive training camp fight followed by a barrage of quotes about how it shows how the culture has changed here thanks to Adam Gase and Gregg Williams intensity…even though the Jets have regularly been having major training camp fights every year (like most teams in the NFL).
7 – Fan favorite Greg Dortch will have a quieter than expected training camp and preseason but stick around on the practice squad. Quadree Henderson will surprise at returner and as a special teamer, sticking around on the 53.8 – Standout offensive players in camp will be Jamison Crowder, Ty Montgomery, Daniel Brown and Chuma Edoga…standout defensive players in camp will be Derrick Jones, Marcus Maye, Quinnen Williams and Frankie Luvu.
9 – Jachai Polite will have a quiet camp and pre-season but ultimately work himself into being a rotational pass rusher by the middle of the season. Brandon Copeland will stick around as a rotational pass rusher and key special teams player.
10 – Punter Hot Take: Matt Darr will beat out Lachlan Edwards.
11 – The Jets will not bring back Morris Claiborne or Austin Seferian-Jenkins.
12 – Pre-camp guess at the 53 man roster:
- QB: Sam Darnold, Trevor Siemian (2)
- RB: Le’Veon Bell, Ty Montgomery, Bilal Powell, Elijah McGuire (4)
- TE: Trevon Wesco, Veteran TBD, Daniel Brown (3)
- WR: Robby Anderson, Jamison Crowder, Quincy Enunwa, Josh Bellamy, Deonte Thompson, Deontay Burnett, Quadree Henderson (7)
- OT: Kelvin Beachum, Brandon Shell, Chuma Edoga, Ben Braden (4)
- OG/OC: Jonotthan Harrison, Brian Winters, Kelechi Osemele, Tom Compton, Jon Toth (5)
- DL: Steve McLendon, Henry Anderson, Leonard Williams, Quinnen Williams, Nathan Shepherd (5)
- ILB: CJ Mosley, Avery Williamson, Neville Hewitt, Blake Cashman (4)
- OLB: Jordan Jenkins, Brandon Copeland, Jachai Polite, Frankie Luvu, Tarell Basham (5)
- CB: Trumaine Johnson, Daryl Roberts, Brian Poole, Derrick Jones, Veteran TBD, Arthur Maulet, Kyron Brown (7)
- S: Jamal Adams, Marcus Maye, Rontez Miles, Brandon Bryant (4)
- ST: Thomas Hennessy, Matt Darr, Chandler Catanzaro (3)