It is beyond early but that will not stop us from making wildly premature predictions for the New York Jets off-season in 2016. In case you missed it, here was our comprehensive off-season preview in last week’s edition. On to the predictions…
1. Ryan Fitzpatrick – Will be signed before free agency opens to a 2 or 3 year deal that averages roughly 8-10 million dollars annually. Most of the guaranteed money will come in year one.
2. Muhammad Wilkerson – Will receive the franchise tag and ultimately not be traded, as the team takes another year to attempt working out a long term agreement.
3. Damon Harrison – Will walk in free agency. The Jets will work to fill his role by signing a lower cost veteran, moving Deon Simon to the active roster and occasionally sliding one of their big three (Wilkerson, Richardson, Williams) inside.
4. Chris Ivory – Will walk in free agency, cashing in on his 1,000 yard season. The Jets will find a lower cost option on the market and add a mid round draft pick to compliment…5. Bilal Powell – Who will be brought back on a two year deal. Stevan Ridley will walk in free agency and Zac Stacy will get released at some point before the season starts.
6. Erin Henderson – Will be brought back on a one year deal to start alongside David Harris.
7. Demario Davis – The team will make a limited effort to bring him back and he will leave in free agency.
8. Breno Giacomini – Will be released, along with Jeremy Kerley and Jeff Cumberland.9. D’Brickashaw Ferguson – Will re-structure his contract along with Antonio Cromartie, with both being back in 2016.
10. The Rest – Calvin Pace, Leger Douzable, Jamari Lattimore, Antonio Allen, Zach Sudfeld, and Kenbrell Thompkins will be brought back on minimum deals. Jaiquawn Jarrett, Stephen Bowen, Ryan Quigley, Chris Owusu, Randy Bullock, Kellen Davis, Willie Colon, Ben Ijalana, and Darrin Walls will not be brought back.
11. Free Agency – The Jets biggest spend will come on the offensive line, where they will look to add one starter and one depth player. They will also add a running back, one linebacker and a depth receiver with return ability.
12. NFL Draft – The Jets will maneuver so they end up selecting more than six players. They will select a quarterback within the first two rounds.
Photo Credit: NewYorkJets.com