It has been far too long since we have been able to write one of these articles but at 7-5 the New York Jets are currently very much in the AFC Playoff Picture with 4 games to play. What are their odds? Who should you be rooting for? Glad you asked…
The Current Standings
- Kansas City Chiefs 7-5
- New York Jets 7-5
- Pittsburgh Steelers 7-5
- Buffalo Bills 6-6
- Houston Texans 6-6
- Oakland Raiders 5-7
- Miami Dolphins 5-7
Yes, Forget About Them Too: The Bills and Texans. Why? If by some miracle the Texans win out with games upcoming against the Patriots and Colts, they would win the AFC South pushing the Colts into the Wild-Card mix, who the Jets have a tie breaker with. The Bills need to win out and the Jets play them in week 17 so they control their own destiny when it comes to them.
The Crappy Reality: The Jets need to finish 3-1 and have either the Chiefs or Steelers finish 2-2. If all three teams finish 10-6, the Jets are out (unless the Jets only loss came to Dallas and they beat New England). If all three teams finish 11-5, the Jets are out. Outside of the Jets, the focus should be on the Chiefs crapping all over themselves in their remaining easy games (San Diego, Cleveland, Baltimore, Oakland) or the Steelers losing as an underdog one of the next two weeks (at Cincinnati, hosting Denver) before their schedule ends on the road at Baltimore and Cleveland.
Obviously, the Jets could also get in by finishing 4-0 and having Kansas City or Pittsburgh go 3-1 but a few reminders:
- The Jets are screwed if they lose on Sunday.
- Become a huge Johnny Football fan the next 4 games.
- It is very bad if Pittsburgh finds a way to upset Cincy or Denver.
- Hope Andy Reid goes full Andy Reid at some point this month.
- The Jets kind of need to upset New England in week 16.
- The Jets definitely need to beat Rex in week 17.
- Jets finish 3-1, losing to New England
- Kansas City finishes 3-1
- Pittsburgh finishes 2-2, losing to Cincinnati and Denver.
- If win percentage holds in remaining games: Jets would be the 6 seed playing in Denver Wild Card Weekend.
Photo Credit: NewYorkJets.com