It feels like the New York Jets haven’t played a game in about 3 months. With a Monday night game tonight and then again next week, there have been abundance of stress free Sundays for us Jets fans in November. Yet, they are back at it tonight against the 5-5 Buffalo Bills in Detroit. Can they get their second win a row?
Under Rex Ryan, the Jets are 1-4 after a bye week and 2-12 after their last 14 wins. Buffalo beat them by 20 points only a few weeks ago and have been a better overall team to this point of the season. Why in the world would the Jets have a chance tonight?The unfortunate circumstances that brought this game to Detroit play in the Jets favor. NFL players and teams are creatures of habit. It is has been a bizarre week or preparation and travel for Buffalo, which could potentially lead to a slow start. This is also a Bills team that was poised to be in playoff contention at 5-3 but lost two straight back breaking games to Kansas City and Miami, leaving them all but finished. It feels like the recipe for a sluggish Buffalo effort.
As for the Jets, Rex Ryan is coaching for his job. If he can string together two straight primetime divisional wins, he sets the table for a five game winning streak (considering the Jets could be favorites versus Minnesota and Tennessee) which could be enough to convince Woody Johnson to keep him. This team is well-rested, healthy and playing an offense that has been abysmal since their last meeting. If they avoid leaving Sammy Watkins in single coverage and protect the football, two big ifs, they should be in position to get a victory.
It is silly to have confidence in a 2-8 team but this is a weird game, a divisional game and the Jets are probably a touch better than their record indicates. On to the predictions…
1. Mike Vick will have 225 total yards of offense, two touchdowns and one fumble. He will be sacked twice.2. Kyle Orton will throw for 250 yards, be sacked three times, throw two touchdowns and one interception.
3. Chris Ivory will have 60 yards rushing and a touchdown. Chris Johnson will have 30 yards of offense.
4. Percy Harvin will have 110 total yards of offense and his first touchdown as a Jet.
5. Sammy Watkins will have 75 yards receiving and a touchdown.6. Jace Amaro will have 4 catches for 50 yards.
7. Calvin Pryor will play 15-25 snaps on defense.
8. Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson will both have sacks.
9. Chris Hogan will have at least 4 receptions.
10. The Jets will use at least two of their timeouts in the first or third quarter.
11. The Jets will finally not defer if presented with the opportunity.
12. The Jets are going to cover the 3.5 spread as underdogs and win a tight, sloppily played game 24-23.
12 Pack Record
Against The Spread (5-5)