With NFL free agency rapidly approaching, I thought it was an appropriate time to throw out some NFL and New York Jets predictions. Here is my 30 pack of predictions on the Jets 2013 season and while some are quite cringe-worthy to look at now, on the whole they weren’t as bad as I expected. The 12 Pack was up and down this year, as always. Let’s see if I can manage a passing grade here and let’s hear your predictions in the comment section below or on Twitter.
1. Jeremy Maclin is going back to the Philadelphia Eagles. Brian Orakpo is going back to the Washington Redskins. Both players would be intriguing targets for the Jets to pursue but I don’t think they will get the opportunity.2. Eric Decker, Golden Tate, Emmanuel Sanders, Hakeem Nicks and James Jones will all be on different teams next season. I don’t think the Jets will seriously pursue Decker or Nicks, who will likely get substantially overpaid in the open market. Also keep an eye on the Jets pursuing a few second and third tier free agent receivers like Andre Roberts, Dexter McCluster, and Miles Austin when he is released.
3. Mark Sanchez, Santonio Holmes and Antonio Cromartie will all be released before the NFL Draft. Cromartie will be resigned on a restructured, low cost contract. Sanchez will land a backup job for the 2014 season. Holmes will have a long wait before signing a one year “prove it” deal with a different team.
4. Austin Howard will be signed to a new contract by the Jets before free agency opens.
5. It won’t happen immediately but Calvin Pace will be brought back by the Jets on another one year deal.6. Whether it is with a new contract or via the franchise tag, Nick Folk will be back with the Jets in 2014.
7. Jeff Cumberland, Leger Douzable and Kellen Winslow Jr all will not be back with the team in 2014.
8. The Jets will add one of the following at quarterback as veteran competition for Geno Smith: Chad Henne, Tavaris Jackson, or Shaun Hill. I do not think Mike Vick will receive serious consideration.
9. While it is very difficult to have a read on just how aggressive John Idzik will be in free agency, I think the Jets will take a run at Jairus Byrd and Jason Worilds. They may not get either but I would be far from stunned if they landed one. I do think they will add a safety and linebacker in free agency. I don’t anticipate them adding a corner, as I do think they will use one of their middle round picks on one.10. If Dennis Pitta breaks free from Baltimore, I think the Jets will take a run at him. A veteran is going to be added at tight end. If Pitta stays with the Ravens, I could see Brandon Pettigrew or Andrew Quarless receiving consideration.