Last week we wrapped up our New York Jets predictions for the season. Against the spread, we went 10-6 and on wins and losses we came out to 8-8. However, similar to the Jets front office we believe that is an ascending 8-8 and we are headed in the right direction. Here is a collection of predictions for Wild-Card Weekend and a few off-season thoughts on the Jets…
1. I made all my Wild Card Weekend picks in my weekly NFL Primer at The Whistle. Check them out here. Out of the four games, I feel strongest about the Bengals and Eagles. Of the latest lines I’ve seen, I’m going Chiefs (+1), Eagles (-2.5), Bengals (-7) and 49ers (-3).2. This is my initial wave of thoughts on the Jets needed off-season approach. I appreciate all the feedback.
3. Among the feedback there seems to be a strong push back about considering trading Kenrick Ellis. I doubt a move actually happens but if Leger Douzable is back, I maintain that it is worth considering. Ellis only played in 208 snaps this past year (19% of the total snaps).
4. Also in response to the comments on the off-season overview: The St. Louis Rams aren’t trading Steadman Bailey for Stephen Hill, folks.
5. We are in the early stages of putting together a TOJ NFL Draft get together in New York City. Stay tuned for details as we hope to work in conjunction with local charities that Jets players are involved with. For up to date news, follow us here.6. The TOJ Podcast is going to feature this guy on Tuesday. So don’t miss it (and stay tuned on Twitter for a call-in number).
7. Congratulations to Muhammad WIlkerson for being named 2nd team All-Pro. A much deserved honor that means much more than a Pro-Bowl appearance. By the way, that Revis guy got paid 16 million this year to not even be an All-Pro player. Hm.
8. It would be nothing short of a crime if Sheldon Richardson doesn’t win Defensive Player of the Year.
9. By the way, after Richardson being named Defensive Rookie of the Month for November. Mr. Dee Milliner won the award for December. Not a bad finish to the year for John Idzik’s rookie class, eh?10. Fun stat: The Dolphins traded up to select Dion Jordan with the 3rd overall pick. Antwan Barnes had the same amount of sacks as him this season (2)…Antwan Barnes missed 11 games.
11. While we are on the Dolphins, please don’t fire Jeff Ireland. Please, please don’t!
12. Enjoy the games this weekend! And please give us a follow on Facebook. Check in tomorrow for Mike Nolan’s Big Man Report and Connor Rogers examining if the Jets should prioritize tight end or receiver in the NFL Draft.