A few quick hits recapping the New York Jets Green/White Scrimmage after the jump. Also an exciting reminder Turn On The Jets shirts are back on the market thanks to your to demand! Get ’em before they are gone.
1. NEED THE QB STATS?!? – Geno was 9/16 for 77 yards. Sanchez was 6/10 for 93 yards with 1 INT and 1 TD (a 57 yarder to Stephen Hill to end the game).2. Digging A Little Deeper – Sanchez was having a rough night due to the interception, tripping over his own feet and missing Clyde Gates for a would-be touchdown. However, he closed strong with the home run touchdown to Stephen Hill. Sanchez is still Sanchez. Maddeningly inconsistent.
Geno started the game with the 1s and drove right down the field for an apparent touchdown but a Bilal Powell 3 yard TD scamper was called back because of a penalty. On the whole, Smith was solid, not spectacular and did a good job protecting the football.
3. McElroy Insanity – Ryan Spadola (keep an eye on him for a roster spot) caught a 48 yard touchdown from McElroy and Vidal Hazleton caught a 70 yard touchdown from him. A tough night for the 3rd defense.
4. Backup Offensive Line Troubles – As we cautioned in our preview. It wasn’t pretty for the backup offensive lineman. Calvin Pace, Ricky Sapp, Nick Bellore and Dawan Landry all recorded sacks against them.5. Injuries – Brian Winters suffered a minor ankle injury after beginning the game with the starters. Apparently, it isn’t serious and he should be back to practice during the week.
6. The Turnovers – Antonio Cromartie intercepted Mark Sanchez. Eric Crocker intercepted Matt Simms.
7. The Running Backs – A strong overall night for Bilal Powell, who broke off a 24 yard run and handled the bulk of the work with the starters. Chad Spann made an impression in his opportunities, as the clock continues to tick on Joe McKnight’s time on the roster (he sat out with an injury).
8. The Receivers – Stephen Hill and Clyde Gates continued their strong camp. Gates hauled in three passes and should have had a touchdown if Sanchez didn’t miss him. Hill had a couple of catches in traffic along with his long touchdown.9. Rook – Dee Milliner played with the starters most of the night and outside of a 9 yard completion he gave up to Stephen Hill, was solid.