First a few updates:
1. We are in the process of putting together a network wide mock draft, so keep a look out for it on Fanball and my article on what I decide to do with the 29thpick after seeing how the rest of the first round breaks down.2. We picked up 5 new facebook fans yesterday for Turn On The Jets, which we means we are 9 away from 200, so once again follow Turn On The Jets on facebook.
3. Shaun Ellis has begun the rehab process for his broken hand and should be ready to go in time for the Jets off-season program.
4. The Jets have been linked to Adalius Thomas on multiple occasions as a potential target this off-season, if he is cut by New England (which he likely will be). I would be all for the Jets finding a way to get him without overpaying. I think he could rotate with Bryan Thomas at outside linebacker and improve the pass rush.
Early Thoughts On Jets DraftWith the Fanball mock draft rapidly approaching, I figured this was a good time to do a better job of familiarizing myself with some potential prospects the Jets could target with the 29th overall pick in the first round. The Jets also have the 29th overall pick in the 2nd, 6th, and 7th round, along with one of the Eagles 5th round selections. My initial thoughts on the draft, is that knowing his history, Mike Tannenbaum is likely to make multiple moves either trading up or trading down. I would also expect the first two selections to be defensive players unless there is a receiver the Jets fall in love with who is available at number 29 or at the end of the second round. Hopefully, one or two of those late round picks will be on offensive lineman for the Jets to develop behind Faneca and Woody.
Tim Graham did a nice job on his AFC East blog at ESPN.com, rounding up the latest mock selections for the Jets in the first round. Here is what he came up with:
- ESPN’s Todd McShay – Arrelious Benn, Wide Receiver, Illinois
- SI’s Don Banks – Damian Williams, Wide Receiver, USC
- National Football Post’s Wes Bunting – Arrelious Benn, Wide Receiver, Illinois
- Football Future’s Robert Davis – Patrick Robinson, Corner, Florida State
- Arizona Republic’s Bob McManaman – Jared Odrick, Defensive Tackle, Penn State
- PFW’s Nolan Nawrocki – Demaryius Thomas, Wide Receiver, Georgia Tech
- CBS Sports Rob Rang – Damian Williams, Wide Receiver, USC
- CBS Sports Chad Reuter – Trent Williams, Offensive Tackle, Oklahoma
- Fox Sports Peter Schrager – Kyle Wilson, Corner, Boise State
- Scout.Com’s Chris Steuber – Dan Williams, Defensive Tackle, Tennessee
My first thoughts when looking at this collection of names is that 5 out of 10 people think the Jets are going wide receiver and only 2 out of 10 think they are going corner, which surprised me. I would be shocked if the Jets spend a first round pick on an offensive tackle because he probably wouldn’t play next year and I think the Jets want instant help. I wouldn’t be as surprised if they went defensive lineman because of concern about Jenkins coming back from injury.
Here are some other sites that I looked up and who they had the Jets taking:
- Draft Countdown – Golden Tate, Wide Receiver, Notre Dame
- Walter Football – Jerry Hughes, OLB/DE, TCU
- Draft Site – Brandon Graham – Outside Linebacker, Michigan
Golden Tate Highlights
Damian Williams Highlights