My picks finally got back on track last week, as I went 4-1 against the spread. With only three weeks left in the regular season, I’m looking to finish strong with a winning streak. Here are a few NFL thoughts before I give my best bets:
- I’m actually really excited to watch the Texans / Jets game. Even though the Jets are probably better off losing for a top draft pick, I want to see Darnold continue to develop and play like he did in Buffalo.
- You could reasonably argue that the Kirk Cousins contract has already become one of the worst in the NFL. We’ll see if the John DeFilippo firing makes any difference, but it’s starting to look like the Vikings made an enormous mistake with that signing.
Continue reading “2018 NFL Best Bets Against the Spread – Week Fifteen”
My week thirteen picks went 2-3 against the spread, as I continue to lose money this season. It was nice to see Mark Sanchez play football again, but it’s not as fun when you bet on the team he is playing quarterback for. Before I give my picks for week fourteen, here’s my take on the current state of the New York Jets:
- With the latest reports of friction between Bowles and Maccagnan, this Jets team is becoming more of a circus every week. I don’t think anything is set in stone yet, but the fact that ownership will potentially keep this GM to hire his own head coach just proves why this team is dysfunctional. As much as I want to see Sam Darnold prosper, I think the Jets are better off losing out the rest of this season and completely cleaning house.
Continue reading “2018 NFL Best Bets Against the Spread – Week Fourteen”
I went 1-4 against the spread last week, which is honestly what I deserve for betting on the Raiders. With five weeks left in the regular season, I need to get my act together and pick some winners. Here are some NFL takes before I give my bets:
- The Cowboys are… pretty good? Their win over New Orleans last Thursday was really impressive and I especially loved what I saw from Dallas’ front seven. Leighton Vander Esch has been fantastic and should be the front runner for Defensive Rookie of the Year.
- I think Mike McCarthy is already a goner at this point, but the Packers’ front office deserves criticism, too. This team has Aaron Rodgers in his prime and his only weapon of note is Davante Adams. Green Bay has to be aggressive in free agency this offseason and get some playmakers for their quarterback.
Continue reading “2018 NFL Best Bets Against the Spread – Week Thirteen”
Jake Benaquisto with his weekly NFL Best Bets…
Some thoughts on Week 11 of the NFL:
- I think we’re going to be talking about that Chiefs / Rams game for a long time. It was easily the best game of the season, and those young quarterbacks both looked like superstars. I wanted the Chiefs to win, but was happy that they were still able to cover the 3.5 points.
- Pittsburgh didn’t cover, but their comeback win over the Jaguars was impressive. They came out flat and somehow were able to steal the game in the fourth quarter.
- The Colts are starting to become one of my favorite ‘NFL Sunday Ticket’ teams to watch. Andrew Luck finally has a strong offensive line in front of him and he’s been playing lights out.
Jake Benaquisto with his weekly NFL Best Bets…
My picks last week were very mediocre. I went 2-3 against the spread and only felt confident about one or two of the games. I like the lines much better this week and can feel another win streak coming. Here are a couple quick takes before I give my best bets:
- I wasn’t even surprised or upset that the Jets got embarrassed by the Bills at home. The Jets inexplicably haven’t fired him yet, but it’s clear that Todd Bowles is in over his head at this point and should not be a head coach in the NFL.
- What happened to the Eagles? I thought for sure they’d win comfortably against Dallas last week and instead they got pushed around all game. I never expected their Super Bowl hangover to last this long, and now Washington is starting to run away with that division.
Jake Benaquisto with his week 10 NFL Best Bets…
If I ever bet on Todd Bowles and the Jets in any way again this season, please come to my house and punch me in the forehead. Despite that horrific game, I still managed to go 3-2 last week. Before I give my picks, here are a few thoughts on the NFL as we go into week 10.
- It’s no guarantee, but if the Steelers ever get back Le’Veon Bell, I think they’re the favorites to win the AFC. That offense was an absolute machine against the Panthers on Thursday.
- I’ve already reached the point of the season where I’m just rooting for the Jets to lose. As sad as it is, I don’t want there to be any reason for this front office and coaching staff to return. The Darnold injury is frustrating and I’ll root for him when he comes back, but wins do absolutely nothing for this team. It’s time to clean house and build a contender around your franchise QB.
Jake Benaquisto with his weekly NFL Best Bets for week 9…
I don’t know how I keep getting lucky with these backdoor covers, but I can’t complain. Thanks to a late pick six by the Patriots on Monday night, I went 4-1 against the spread for week eight. That’s three weeks in a row above .500 now to put my season record at 20-20. Before I give my picks for week nine, here are some random NFL thoughts:
- Is it too early to call the Jon Gruden experiment an absolute failure? The fact that the Raiders’ organization is trusting this guy to rebuild the franchise actually makes me feel sorry for Oakland fans.
- I can’t get a good feel for the Steelers / Ravens game this week. Pittsburgh seems to be building some momentum and they’re getting three points, so if I had to, I’d probably bet on them.
Jake Benaquisto with his weekly NFL Best Bets
I benefitted from another backdoor cover, this time by the Giants, to put my record at 3-2 again last week. I’m now on a two week winning streak and am looking to make it three after this weekend. Before I give my picks, here’s some NFL thoughts and observations.
- I fully expect another loss for the Jets this week in Chicago. Not only are the Jets riddled with injuries, but they’re playing a Bears team looking to get back on track after two losses in a row.
- One lesson I learned the hard way last week: Never wager on Blake Bortles. I know the Jags have very little help at wide receiver and Leonard Fournette is hurt, but that offense has scored a combined 28 points in the last three weeks.
- I so badly wanted to take Aaron Rodgers getting 9.5 points this week, but I just can’t bring myself to bet against the Rams again.
Continue reading “2018 NFL Best Bets Against the Spread – Week Eight”
Jake Benaquisto with his weekly Best Bets for the NFL column…
I finally picked some winners and went 3-2 against the spread last week. Shoutout to the Broncos for getting the last minute backdoor cover or else I would have gone 2-3. Here are a few takes as we head into week seven:
- I could not be more excited for the Jets / Vikings game this weekend. Minnesota is the much better team, but if the Jets win, you have to wonder if this team could make a run for the playoffs down the stretch.
- If there’s one team I cannot seem to figure out this season, it’s the Dallas Cowboys. Their offense has looked terrible in some games, but they absolutely destroyed the Jaguars last week. I’m interested to see how they do on the road against Washington on Sunday.
Jake Benaquistio with his Best Bets for the NFL heading into week 6…
I went an abysmal 0-5 against the spread on my ‘best bets’ last week. I may need to go see a witch doctor or something to get myself out of this funk. Luckily, I love my picks this week and can already feel a hot streak coming. Here are some takeaways from an NFL weekend that cost me a lot of money:
- Sam Darnold and the Jets bounced back in a big way against Denver last Sunday. Not only did Darnold throw three touchdowns and make a few mesmerizing throws, but the Jets defense played lights out compared to their effort against Jacksonville.
- The Giants are a circus and I am 100% here for it. OBJ and Saquon are promising building blocks, but the fact that Eli is still starting under center is both confusing and hilarious.
- One of the teams that I loved going into this season was the Falcons, which now looks pretty foolish. No one could have predicted the injuries they’ve had on defense, but that team has looked lifeless.