Memorial Day Weekend is about to kickoff and what is a better way to start off your summer than by reading 50 things to be happy about if you are a Jets fan. I hear some occasional criticism for being too positive about the team this season, even when a simple click through the archives will show I have written plenty of articles about potential problems the entire team, certain players, and certain positions will have in 2010. Regardless, today is a day to enjoy the optimism that every Jets fan should rightfully have heading into this year, so without further delay here 50 things for Jets to smile (or brag) about heading into this season:
(By the way, that’s my man JetBo from Section 313 in the old stadium)
1. Our 23 year old quarterback has already won two road playoff games.
2. Our 23 year old quarterback has more playoff wins in one season than Tony Romo has in seven. (For all those Maganelli Dallas fans in the area).
3. Our number three receiver was the 2009 Super Bowl MVP.
4. Fine, you say he isn’t our number three receiver than our number three receiver had 1130 receiving yards in 2007.
5. You say he isn’t our number three receiver either, than our number three receiver had 17 touchdowns in 2007.
6. If you moved our starting tight end to wide receiver, he’d be better at it than anybody Buffalo is trying to start opposite Lee Evans.
7 . Our second year running back already has two career playoff 100 yard rushing games.
8. We have the best center in the NFL.
9. We have the best corner in the NFL.
10. We had the number one defense in the NFL last season, without one of the best defensive lineman in the NFL who is now returning from injury.
11. We have a Pro-Bowl left tackle.
12. Our defense is good enough that our first round corner from the 2010 NFL Draft comes off the bench.
13. We have two corners who have been All-Pros. They are 26 and 24 years old.
14. A player with 127.5 career sacks is our #3 outside linebacker.
15. A player with 138 career touchdowns is our backup running back.
16. We have one of the best fullbacks in the NFL.
17. We drafted the best fullback in the 2010 NFL Draft to back him up.
18. Our third and fourth best offensive lineman are better than most team’s first and second best offensive lineman.
19. The New England Patriots lost 33-14 in their home building in the first round of the playoffs last year. Their biggest off-season acquisitions were Torry Holt, David Patten, and Alge Crumpler.
20. New England’s top three running backs are Laurence Maroney, Fred Taylor, and Sammy Morris.
21. Miami is relying on this guy to improve their offense:
22. We have this guy to cover him:
23. We have an All-Pro inside linebacker who is 26 years old.
24. We are going to be featured HBO’s Hard Knocks this summer.
25. We don’t play in Giants Stadium anymore.
26. Our stadium is hosting the 2014 Super Bowl.
27. We have the most aggressive GM in the NFL.
28. We have the funniest head coach in the NFL.
29. Our head coach is one the best defensive minds in the NFL.
30. Our defensive blitzes more than any team in the NFL.
31. Our players love playing for our head coach and players now actually want to join the New York Jets.
32. Despite winning a Super Bowl in 2007, the Giants are frustrated by all the attention the Jets receive from the local media.
33. We have five games in primetime this season.
34. We host the first Monday Night Football game of the season.
35. We get to boo our lungs off at Brett Favre at a home Monday Night game.
36. We are playing on Thanksgiving this year for the second time in 4 years.
37. Our quarterback threw 8 more interceptions than touchdowns last year and we still made the AFC Championship Game.
38. Our number four receiver can do things like this:
39. Our top outside linebacker only played in 12 games last season but still had 8 sacks.
40. The Patriots are either going to be starting a rookie, Darius Butler, Jonathan Wilhite, or Terrence Wheatley at corner. We could go four wide with Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery, Santonio Holmes, and Dustin Keller.
41. Those White Titans throwback jerseys are pretty slick looking.
42. We had a complete bust with the #6 overall pick in the 2008 draft and still had the league’s #1 overall defense last season.
43. Everybody thinks Chad Henne is a franchise quarterback and the biggest game he ever won in the NFL was beating the Jets in a week 5 game.
44. Our starting right guard is one of the most underrated players in the NFL and is hysterical on twitter. (@ShitMeatSays)
44. Bill Belichick is clearly starting to lose his mind:
45. The Jets piss off everybody in the NFL.
46. Our owner called out the NFL Commissioner for holding a fake coin toss to give the Giants the first home game in the new stadium.
47. A Rex Ryan press conference is more entertaining than 3/4 of the shows on TV right now.
48. Randy Moss doesn’t even bother to try against us anymore.
49. You could say “I expect the Jets to win the Super Bowl this season” and people won’t look at you like you have three heads.
50. The Empire State Building is going to spend plenty of time looking like this over the next few years.