Jake Benaquisto with his week 10 NFL Best Bets…
If I ever bet on Todd Bowles and the Jets in any way again this season, please come to my house and punch me in the forehead. Despite that horrific game, I still managed to go 3-2 last week. Before I give my picks, here are a few thoughts on the NFL as we go into week 10.
- It’s no guarantee, but if the Steelers ever get back Le’Veon Bell, I think they’re the favorites to win the AFC. That offense was an absolute machine against the Panthers on Thursday.
- I’ve already reached the point of the season where I’m just rooting for the Jets to lose. As sad as it is, I don’t want there to be any reason for this front office and coaching staff to return. The Darnold injury is frustrating and I’ll root for him when he comes back, but wins do absolutely nothing for this team. It’s time to clean house and build a contender around your franchise QB.
Jake Benaquisto with his weekly NFL Best Bets for week 9…
I don’t know how I keep getting lucky with these backdoor covers, but I can’t complain. Thanks to a late pick six by the Patriots on Monday night, I went 4-1 against the spread for week eight. That’s three weeks in a row above .500 now to put my season record at 20-20. Before I give my picks for week nine, here are some random NFL thoughts:
- Is it too early to call the Jon Gruden experiment an absolute failure? The fact that the Raiders’ organization is trusting this guy to rebuild the franchise actually makes me feel sorry for Oakland fans.
- I can’t get a good feel for the Steelers / Ravens game this week. Pittsburgh seems to be building some momentum and they’re getting three points, so if I had to, I’d probably bet on them.
Jake Benaquisto with his weekly NFL Best Bets
I benefitted from another backdoor cover, this time by the Giants, to put my record at 3-2 again last week. I’m now on a two week winning streak and am looking to make it three after this weekend. Before I give my picks, here’s some NFL thoughts and observations.
- I fully expect another loss for the Jets this week in Chicago. Not only are the Jets riddled with injuries, but they’re playing a Bears team looking to get back on track after two losses in a row.
- One lesson I learned the hard way last week: Never wager on Blake Bortles. I know the Jags have very little help at wide receiver and Leonard Fournette is hurt, but that offense has scored a combined 28 points in the last three weeks.
- I so badly wanted to take Aaron Rodgers getting 9.5 points this week, but I just can’t bring myself to bet against the Rams again.
Continue reading “2018 NFL Best Bets Against the Spread – Week Eight”
Jake Benaquisto with his weekly Best Bets for the NFL column…
I finally picked some winners and went 3-2 against the spread last week. Shoutout to the Broncos for getting the last minute backdoor cover or else I would have gone 2-3. Here are a few takes as we head into week seven:
- I could not be more excited for the Jets / Vikings game this weekend. Minnesota is the much better team, but if the Jets win, you have to wonder if this team could make a run for the playoffs down the stretch.
- If there’s one team I cannot seem to figure out this season, it’s the Dallas Cowboys. Their offense has looked terrible in some games, but they absolutely destroyed the Jaguars last week. I’m interested to see how they do on the road against Washington on Sunday.
Jake Benaquistio with his Best Bets for the NFL heading into week 6…
I went an abysmal 0-5 against the spread on my ‘best bets’ last week. I may need to go see a witch doctor or something to get myself out of this funk. Luckily, I love my picks this week and can already feel a hot streak coming. Here are some takeaways from an NFL weekend that cost me a lot of money:
- Sam Darnold and the Jets bounced back in a big way against Denver last Sunday. Not only did Darnold throw three touchdowns and make a few mesmerizing throws, but the Jets defense played lights out compared to their effort against Jacksonville.
- The Giants are a circus and I am 100% here for it. OBJ and Saquon are promising building blocks, but the fact that Eli is still starting under center is both confusing and hilarious.
- One of the teams that I loved going into this season was the Falcons, which now looks pretty foolish. No one could have predicted the injuries they’ve had on defense, but that team has looked lifeless.
Jake Benaquisto with his week 5 NFL Best Bets…
My picks are off to a very mediocre start in 2018, as I went 2-3 against the spread again last week. Here are some takes before I look to bounce back in week five:
- Does Todd Bowles even have a pulse at this point? I took the Jets last week and they looked uninterested in playing football against the Jaguars. If they have another embarrassing loss against Denver on Sunday, I don’t see a scenario where he returns as the head coach.
- Baltimore at Cleveland might be the game I’m most excited to watch this week. I think the Ravens are legitimate contenders, and I can’t wait to see how Baker plays against their defense.
- It’s pretty safe to say that the Falcons’ season could be over if they don’t win in Pittsburgh. I don’t feel great about their chances, especially with the Steelers coming off a tough loss on Sunday Night Football.
Jake Benaquisto with his NFL Best Bets for week 4…
Week Three was about as unpredictable as it could have been, but I was still able to go 3-2 on my best bets. I’m not sure why I thought it’d be a good idea to pick against the Rams, but I know it looks pretty stupid in hindsight. Here are some random NFL thoughts as we head into week four:
- Could this finally be the year that the Patriots stink and their dynasty ends?! I wouldn’t bet on it, but a loss against the Dolphins this week would be catastrophic.
- I think I’m ready to have the way-too-early Jared Goff MVP conversation. You can point to how much talent he has around him and the fact that Sean McVay is calling plays, but the guy was dropping dimes against the Vikings on Thursday night.
- Speaking of potential MVPs, I can’t wait to see how Pat Mahomes looks against the Broncos on Monday night. The Chiefs offense looked unstoppable again last week, but playing in Denver is a tough environment for a young QB.
- One pick that I like but didn’t put in my best bets is Atlanta -4.5 vs. Cincinnati. This Bengals team is better than I thought they’d be, but I don’t see the Falcons losing two games in a row at home. I could see Cincinnati getting a backdoor cover, but Atlanta should score enough to win by a touchdown.
Jake Benaquisto with his best bets for week 3 of the NFL season
I went 2-3 last week and got burned by Ryan Fitzpatrick. What a cruel world. Here are some week two observations:
- I got to suffer through not one, but two horrible, gut-wrenching losses by the Jets this past week. These losses will come with a 21 year old rookie quarterback, but they still hurt.
- It’s early, but Jacksonville looks to me like the best team in the AFC. Well-coached, defense is legit, and Blake Bortles can make plays when they need him to. I’m still not sure I’d bet on this team to beat New England in the playoffs, but they pretty much have the AFC South already locked up.
- Chicago’s defense is really, really good. The thought of this team drafting Pat Mahomes instead of Mitch Trubisky would give me depression if I was a Bears fan.
Jake Benaquisto with his best bets for week 2 of the NFL season…
Week One of the NFL Season is in the books and we got off to a hot start. Not only did the Jets absolutely humiliate the Lions, but I went 3-2 on my Best Bets and got to watch a lot of great games. Before I give my picks for this week, here are some of my observations from the first weekend of NFL action:
Jake Benaquisto with his week 1 NFL Best Bets…
Welcome back football! After a brief summer hiatus, I’m ready to get back on the gambling wagon. Last season, my best bets went 54-40-2 against the spread and I’m ready to do even better in 2018.