…And now for 12 predictions on transactions the New York Jets will make when the league year opens. As a reminder, this is not a set of transactions that this writer is 100% advocating for or a “dream” offseason scenario but rather a guess on what will actually play out…1 – The Big Spend: The Jets will go above and beyond to ultimately land right tackle Jack Conklin in free agency, paying him a little north of 16 million per year. This will far and away be their biggest splurge of the offseason and the news will break relatively early on this signing.
2 – Second Tier Addition: The Jets will not land Joe Thuney, Graham Glasgow or Connor McGovern (not for a lack of trying) but will find a way to sign Greg Van Roten, who will function as a Brian Winters replacement.
3 – More Depth: The Jets will not sign Halapoulivaati Vaitai, who will get dramatically overpaid in free agency but instead sign a cheaper, depth swing tackle in Rashod Hill from the Minnesota Vikings. They will let Brandon Shell walk but also have Chuma Edoga and Connor McDermott back.
4 – Internal Returns: The Jets will bring back Alex Lewis, Brian Poole, Jordan Jenkins, Paul Worrilow, Neville Hewitt, Demaryius Thomas, Bilal Powell, Tom Compton, James Burgess, Rontez Miles, Lachlan Edwards, Sam Ficken and Arthur Maulet.5 – Internal Exits: Robby Anderson, Kelvin Beachum, Ryan Kalil, Ty Montgomery, Brent Qvale, Albert McClellan, Brandon Copeland, Frankie Luvu, Jeff Smith and BJ Ballo will not be back.
6 – Sam’s Weapons: The Jets will add a released Albert Wilson and Chiefs free agent receiver Demarcus Robinson to their group of receivers, while exploring a potential trade for Alshon Jeffrey.
7 – Cornerback: The Jets will sign Jalen Mills and Daryl Worley to round out their group of cornerbacks along with Brian Poole, Arthur Maulet and Blessaun Austin. They will show interest in both Byron Jones and James Bradberry but ultimately land neither.
8 – Edge Rusher: The Jets will sign Emmaneul Ogbah as an edge rusher to support Jordan Jenkins and Tarell Basham. They will not go after any of the major names at the top of the market or trade picks for any edge rushers.9 – Release List: The Jets will release Brian Winters, Quincy Enunwa, Avery Williamson and Daryl Roberts.
10 – Sam’s Backup: The Jets will bring Trevor Siemian back as Sam Darnold’s primary backup.
11 – Bell’s Backup: The Jets will sign either Chris Thompson or DeAndre Washington to backup Le’Veon Bell.
12 – Updated Depth Chart:
- QB: Sam Darnold, Trevor Siemian
- RB: Le’Veon Bell, Chris Thompson, Bilal Powell
- WR: Jamison Crowder, Albert Wilson, Demarcus Robinson, Demaryius Thomas, Vyncint Smith, Braxton Berrios
- TE: Chris Herndon, Ryan Griffin, Trevon Wesco, Daniel Brown
- OT: Jack Conklin, Rashod Hill, Chuma Edoga, Connor McDermott
- OG: Alex Lewis, Greg Van Roten, Tom Compton
- C: Jonotthan Harrison
- DL: Quinnen Williams, Henry Anderson, Foley Fatukasi, Nathan Sheppard, Kyle Phillips, Steve McLendon
- ILB: CJ Mosley, James Burgess, Neville Hewitt, Blake Cashman, Paul Worrilow
- Edge: Jordan Jenkins, Tarell Basham, Emmanuel Ogbah, Harvey Langi
- CB: Blessaun Austin, Brian Poole, Jalen Mills, Daryl Worley, Arthur Maulet
- S: Jamal Adams, Marcus Maye, Matthias Farley, Rontez Miles
- ST: Lachlan Edwards, Sam Ficken