Every Wednesday or Thursday during the NFL season (and offseason), Joe Caporoso will break down the upcoming week of NFL action. Unfasten the belts and prepare to gorge on another weekend of fandom, fantasy, gambling, tweeting, cheering, complaining…and complaining.
The Buffet is brought to you by Razer Sport (www.RazerSport.com) – The world’s most respected sports betting consultants and handicappers, who are producing winners every single week. Visit Razer Sport to sign up for FREE and start winning like a RAZER member. Give them a follow on Twitter right here as well!
NFL Draft Mid Round Targets
We can only mock either Josh Rosen or Baker Mayfield to the New York Jets so many times with the third overall pick, so let’s take today and look at players they could consider with their two middle round picks (I consider rounds 5-7 to be the late rounds, so we’ll hit that next week).
3rd Round, 72nd Overall
- Frank Ragnow, Center – It is probably a stretch that he will be available but crazier things have happened on day two. Ragnow would give the Jets a shot of talent in the interior of their offensive line and allow them the potential flexibility of playing Spencer Long at guard if Brian Winters struggles or isn’t healthy.
- Lorenzo Carter, Edge – The Jets desperately need help at pass rusher and Carter would provide nice value at this spot of the draft. He has more upside from an athleticism standpoint by a decent margin over the Jets other recent mid round picks at edge (Jordan Jenkins, Lorenzo Mauldin, Dylan Donahue).
- Rashaad Penny, RB – This is a deep running back class and the Jets have clearly shown an interest this offseason in upgrading the position. Somebody is going to slip through the cracks into the third round and Penny could be that guy. If the Jets drafted him here, it wouldn’t surprise me to see them try to trade Bilal Powell.
4th Round, 107th Overall
- Kameron Kelly, CB – Similar to running back, this corner class is notably deep. Kelly is transitioning from safety and would provide excellent size and athleticism on the outside as a development player with way more potential than Juston Burris.
- Quenton Meeks, CB – A more polished prospect than Kelly with a little less upside. Meeks may be able to contribute out of the gate in year one if the Jets have injuries to any of their top three guys.
- Antonio Callaway, WR – Character and off the field concerns are going to drop him further than his on field talent merits. This could be a playmaker the Jets attempt to take a flier on to support their young quarterback long term. Connor Rogers wrote more about him this week, right here.
Under Appreciated Fast Food Of The Week
Only the New Jersey readers will appreciate this one. White Castle gets all the love (and is very good) but White Manna is the best when it comes to quickly made sliders. If you ever happen to be near Hackensack (North Jersey), stop and eat about six of these.
Random NFL GIF
Lamar Jackson Soon…
What Do I Watch Now?
The Devil’s Double, Amazon Prime – This came out in theater’s awhile back (2011) and is now available to stream on a few different services. It is the story of an Iraqi being forced to act as a body double for one of Saddam Hussein’s sons. It is loosely based on a true story and is incredibly well acted/shot.
Who Do I Read Now?
The Leftovers, Tom Perotta – The show is absolutely phenomenal (seriously, go watch it now if you haven’t) but the book it is based on is worth your time as well. There are a few minor differences and the tone is much less grim in the book than the show (at times). Perrotta’s work is highly readable and engages you right away. You’ll rip through this one in a few sittings.
Top Fifteen Mock!
- Cleveland Browns – Sam Darnold, QB
- New York Giants – Saquon Barkley, RB
- New York Jets – Josh Rosen, QB
- Cleveland Browns – Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB
- Denver Broncos – Baker Mayfield, QB
- Indianapolis Colts – Bradley Chubb, Edge
- Tampa Bay Bucs – Derwin James, DB
- Chicago Bears – Quenton Nelson, OG
- San Francisco 49ers – Calvin Ridley, WR
- Oakland Raiders – Denzel Ward, CB
- Miami Dolphins – Roquan Smith, LB
- Buffalo Bills – Josh Allen, QB
- Washington Redskins – Tremaine Edwards, LB
- Green Bay Packers – Josh Jackson, CB
- Arizona Cardinals – Mason Rudolph, QB
Photo Credit: NFL.com