Episode 5 of Slight Work is now live! Today, we talk with Matthew Coller (@MatthewColler) of 1500 ESPN in the Twin Cities, who also is a hockey writer for ESPN Insider. Make sure to subscribe to our I-Tunes feed right here and leave us a review!
Matt walks us through how he got his start in radio, production and writing, the day to day life of being a host, moving markets mid career and his opinions on the necessity of working for free when you first start out…
My first show that I had was a one hour weekend show just talking about hockey. I bought my own time for that, meaning I went out and solid it myself, went to businesses and things like that and got them to advertise with my show so I can pay the station to put me on….you have to find a way to separate yourself.
We also go through our weekly questions with Matt, which include…
- Best career advice you received?
- Most valuable skill set you have?
- One prediction about sports media industry in 2017
- Most annoying or frustrating thing about industry/your job?
- What is one carer orientated goal you have for the next 12 months or a skill set you want to learn?
Photo Credit: ESPN.com