On this week’s Podcast our Connor Rogers brought up potential interest between WR Brandon Marshall and the New York Jets, less than 48 hours later a deal has been completed. Percy Harvin is also going to be released, as the receiver group continues to be reshaped. The move is an aggressive first step for a new regime led by Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles, let’s dive into…
1. Familiar Faces – Todd Bowles and New York Jets wide receiver coach Karl Dorrell both coached Marshall in Miami, while the Jets new Senior Director of College Scouting, Rex Hogan was with him in Chicago. The Jets have a degree of familiarity with Marshall in the building which is helpful. Marshall has had off the field issues in the past but has cleaned them up in recent years. The team is high on his competitiveness and is confident that he will work well on a Bowles led team.
- X – Brandon Marshall: 6’4, 230 pounds
- Z – Eric Decker: 6’3, 215 pounds
- F – Jace Amaro: 6’5, 265 pounds
One way to help out Geno Smith, a draft pick or free agent quarterback? Go get players with a big catch radius. Marshall and Decker’s skill sets should compliment each other very well on the outside, particularly in the red-zone.
3. The Money – Marshall has a 7.7 million dollar cap hit this year, his money beyond that is not guaranteed. This is obviously a bonus for the Jets who now have the flexibility to deal with him on a year to year basis.
4. Percy Harvin – Is being released by the New York Jets, giving them back their fourth round pick this year. They will now be trading a sixth rounder to Seattle. Jeremy Kerley will be the team’s slot receiver.
5. Trade Compensation – Is likely to be a 5th rounder for Marshall, leaving the Jets with no 5th or 6th round pick in this year’s draft.
6. Off The Board – A wide receiver with the 6th overall pick seems much less likely now.
7. A Prediction – The Jets are going to roll with Geno Smith and a low cost veteran at quarterback and then aggressively look to trade back from the sixth overall pick.
What do you think of the moves today by the New York Jets? SOUND OFF BELOW!