Back with another Turn On The Jets 12 Pack. It is somewhat odd to see the New York Jets as 3 point favorites despite their 1-6 record. Over the last six games, they have lost to teams with a combined record of 29-14 and played an absolute gauntlet of quarterbacks. The schedule now swings back in their favor to an extent. Their next six games are against teams with a combined record of 16-17 (only counting the 4-3 Bills once, who they play twice in the next 7 weeks, which also includes their bye). Over the rest of the season they will face Kyle Orton and Ryan Tannehill twice, Zach Mettenberger, Teddy Bridgewater, Alex Smith, Ben Roethlisberger and Tom Brady. Theoretically there should be more defensive success and overall success. However, does this team remember how to win? Can they find a way to prevail in a tight game? They have been in five tight ones and lost every single one.
These next nine games will have Rex Ryan coaching for his job, Geno Smith playing for the right to be the team’s quarterback in 2015, Percy Harvin auditioning for a long term contract, Oday Aboushi looking to solidify himself as a 2015 starter and Jeremy Kerley trying to show his contract extension was a smart decision. There are plenty of other players looking to determine their future as well. Will the Jets fight the rest of 2014 or will they roll over and stumble across the finish line to a 3 or 4 win season? We find out starting tomorrow. On to the predictions…1. Chris Johnson will have less than ten offensive touches.
2. Anthony Dixon will have less than 30 yards of rushing for Buffalo.
3. Jace Amaro will have at least 4 receptions.
4. Quinton Coples will play a higher percentage of snaps than he did last week and have a sack. Sheldon Richardson will also have a sack.5. Geno Smith will throw for 270 yards, rush for a touchdown and throw for a touchdown. He will also have at least 30 yards rushing and have one turnover.
6. Kyle Orton will throw for 245 yards and two touchdowns. He will also be sacked three times and fumble the ball away once.
7. Chris Ivory will have 75 yards rushing and 20 yards receiving, again leading the Jets running backs in touches.
8. Bryce Brown will have 55 total yards of offense, and finish as Buffalo’s leading rusher.9. Sammy Watkins will have over 70 yards receiving and a touchdown.
10. Eric Decker will have his first 100 yard game as a member of the Jets.
11. Percy Harvin is going to score a touchdown in his Jets debut. Rex will also make him a game captain and he’ll be the last player called out during introductions.
12. The New York Jets will both win and cover the three point spread, ending their six game losing streak (!) with a 24-17 victory.
If you haven’t yet, check out our new Xs and Os series:
12 Pack Record
Against The Spread (4-3)