The New York Jets have kicked off their training camp in Cortland, New York and the stories are already swarming. Let’s use today’s 12 Pack to sort out what you should really be concerned about and what you need to keep perspective on, since it is only July 26th. Make sure to give us a follow on Facebook and Twitter and most importantly, enjoy your weekend!
1. McDonald’s McKnight – Joe McKnight failed his pre-training camp conditioning test yesterday, for the second time in four years. However, he did pass this morning and was able to practice with the team. Considering the situation around him (we’ll get into this shortly), McKnight is likely to make the roster and have a real opportunity to be a contributor on a team devoid of playmakers. It is frustrating to see him not pass the test on the first try, especially considering his brash tone this off-season. Ultimately, it is put up or shut up time. He has talent. He talked a big game. Get in shape, learn the playbook and make a consistent impact on offense. If you can’t crack into regular playing time on this offense, you shouldn’t be in the NFL.
2. Goodson MIA – More running back news! Mike Goodson didn’t report to camp and nobody is going into specifics why. His agent released a statement saying he was tending to “personal matters” and that the team knew he wouldn’t be in attendance and was supportive of the situation. Hm. We all know about Goodson’s recent legal issues, so it is fair to assume he is sorting those out. There is no indication as to when he will be available, which again is bad news for a Jets offense who needs every playmaker they can get.
3. Chris Ivory On The Bike – No more running back news, please! Chris Ivory sat out today with a tender hamstring. This seems to just be precautionary and he is expected back for Sunday when the team is in full pads AKA when practice really starts. Expect the Jets to be extra cautious with Ivory this training camp and pre-season considering his value to the team and his questionable durability history. Don’t panic yet, Jets fans.
4. Day One Heroes – CLYDE GATES! TITUS RYAN! JOHN GRIFFIN! There are 44 days until the season starts, so let’s temper enthusiasm here. We are highly critical of Gates here but he has speed and on this barren depth chart, could be a situational deep threat. Ryan and Griffin remain long, long shots to make the team.
5. Ominous ‘Tone – Santonio Holmes spoke to the media today and conceded the doctors and himself had no idea when a return date is coming. Perhaps Holmes was being overly cautious with the media, who we know he isn’t in love with or maybe he really is that far off. We projected Holmes to start the season on the PUP list and see no reason to change that line of thinking as of now, despite hoping to be wrong.
6. Bray In The Fray – Jeremy Kerley and Braylon Edwards should be the most polished of the Jets receivers by a wide margin. By all accounts, Edwards basically walked right into working with the 1st team and looked fluid. Don’t be surprised if he is your opening day starting split end, with Kerley as the opening day flanker. When the team goes three wide, they can put Stephen Hill on the outside with Edwards and then bump Kerley inside to the slot. You will likely see other players rolling through for different packages and outside of Kerley, I’m not sure any Jets receiver will be playing true starting reps early in the season.
7. Oh, The Quarterbacks – Both played well today and protected the football, considering there was no Ivory, Goodson or Holmes…NOT BAD! More seriously, this will be a process, don’t expect any separation until the Green/White scrimmage and pre-season.
8. Self-Censored Rex – You can tell Rex Ryan is dying to throw out some bold proclamations about his oft-criticized team but he generally bit his tongue. He has to slip at some point, right? My guess is that Darrelle Revis keeps mouthing off the media about the Jets and Rex eventually fires something out to stir the pot up for week 1. “Darrelle was no better than a RAY MICKENS before I started coaching him!”
9. Still Healthy – Kellen Winslow Jr! Willie Colon! Antwan Barnes! Let’s keep it that way fellas.
10. Still No Contract – Dee Milliner. I wouldn’t start panicking unless we get through the weekend and he still isn’t here. Reports are that he is in Alabama with fellow unsigned rookie Chance Warmack working out. Damn you off-set language.
11. SHELDON RICHARDSON – There is a high (maybe irrationally high) level of excitement on this site about Sheldon Richardson and what he can bring to the Jets defense. He recorded a “sack” today and even though I’m not sure what that means in a pad-less practice, I like it.
12. Don’t sleep on Danny Lansana? Or maybe Matt Simms is just awful…
Who hasn’t been pick-six’d by him though? RT @SethWalderNYDN Matt Simms throws first pick of training camp. Easy pick-six for Danny Lansana
— Joe Caporoso (@TurnOnTheJets) July 26, 2013