“Gates? Greene? Howard? I’m getting the hell out of here…” – Mark Sanchez in above photo
The Turn On The Jets 12 pack is back to kick off your weekend. Personally, I am in an extra jovial mood this Friday. Outside of the Boomer and Carton shout out, they are serving free BBQ in my office today. Anybody can order free pizza or sandwiches, but free BBQ? That is a job well done by my company. When we eventually have official TOJ offices, outside of serving the logical 12 pack to accompany the article every Friday, we will also serve BBQ. Because nothing makes for more productive afternoons than weighing employees down with massive meals and alcohol.While I am food ranting, the top two snack choices for TOJ this season has been Hint of Lime Tostitos and Ken’s Honey Mustard Pretzel Bites. Any recommendations to knock them out of the top two spots?
On to the predictions
1. The New York Jets special teams is going to play a very good all-around game and will make a play that directly leads to points. Frank Isola may disagree but Mike Westhoff is a Hall of Fame coach and I can’t see his unit tanking it for two weeks in a row. Both Antonio Cromartie and Clyde Gates have the speed to make a big play on kick return. Jeremy Kerley is explosive at punt returner and is due for a big one.That feels like a hundred years ago, right? Let’s not also forget that this is the Jets so writing off a big return from Leon Washington would be foolish.
2. Russell “The Nicest and Smartest Man To Ever Play Quarterback in the NFL According To Every Analyst” Wilson is going to struggle against the Jets defense. Seriously. have you heard analysts talk about Wilson? It is a good thing Jim Nantz isn’t calling the game this week as I could see this occurring while I vomit up the previously mentioned Hint of Lime Tostitos. “Look at Wilson’s smile…look at his charisma…look at how intelligently he holds that football…his grace reminds me of a embracingly warm April afternoon in Augusta.” Put Wilson down for under 200 yards passing and a turnover.
3. Mark Sanchez is going to be sacked at least 3 times and the Jets are going to have at least two false start penalties. The Jets offense will also have at least one turnover. Anybody curious why Matt Cavanaugh is a working coach in the NFL still, anybody? In a perfect world him, Mike Tannenbaum and Terry Bradway will be selling insurance with Mark Brunell next November.
4. Marshawn Lynch will be productive but won’t destroy the Jets. Put him down for 85-105 yards and a touchdown.5. Dustin Keller will lead the Jets in receptions and receiving yards. The Jets wide receivers are going to have a tough time getting open and Seattle hasn’t been great against tight ends this year. Look for Keller to be as productive as he was against New England a few weeks ago.
6. Quinton Coples will have his third sack of the season. It still won’t make Jets fans feel better about not having Bruce Irvin or Chandler Jones.
7. Bilal Powell will have 5 carries and 2 catches as he returns from an injury. Shonn Greene will finish with 75 yards rushing and 2 catches.
8. That Tebow guy will have 3-5 carries and throw a pass. He will run for a first down on 2nd and 2 with 5:04 left in the 2nd quarter and flex his muscles while yelling, this will prompt Twitter to explode for calls for him to stay in the game for his demonstrated leadership. The announcers will then also remind everybody that “TEBOW IS A JUST A FOOTBALL PLAYER! HE JUST PLAYS FOOTBALL SO MUCH!”
9. Golden Tate is going to have a big day working against Kyle Wilson. I can already see Tate with 6 catches for 115 yards and then blowing by Wilson for another long completion in the 4th quarter, except he happens to drop it. Wilson will then respond by wagging his finger at the Seattle sideline while they look at him with baffled faces.
10. Stephen Hill is going to struggle against Seattle’s aggressive cornerbacks. Don’t bank on him going over 40 yards receiving. Jeremy Kerley will make some plays from the slot and have a productive day.
11. Antonio Cromartie is going to shut down Sidney Rice and record an interception of Russell Wilson.
12. The New York Jets are appropriately heavy underdogs in this game but they will put forth a scrappy effort coming off the bye week. However, I don’t think they will have enough offense to steal one late against the Seahawks. I’m taking Seattle 16-13.
Predicted Game Outcome Record (7-1)