The 2012 NFL season is off to a beautiful start. Yes, the Giants beat the Jets last year and won the Super Bowl. Did that prevent you from enjoying David Wilson and Mathias Kiwanuka’s tears or the disappointed faces of the bandwagon Giants fans who just bought their jersey the day before in the bar on Wednesday? Of course not. Week 1 is here and with that comes 12 likely inaccurate predictions about the Jets first game, against the Fredo of the AFC East, the Buffalo Bills.
1. Stevie Johnson will have under 50 yards receiving and not score a touchdown. You think Darrelle Revis isn’t keyed up for this game after hearing all week how Johnson is the only receiver who has figured out how to beat him? Look for Revis to get after Johnson at the line of scrimmage and to be in his ear all game. I wouldn’t be surprised if he baited him into a personal foul at some point.
2. Shonn Greene will be the game’s leading rusher. The Jets have had Fred Jackson’s number over the past few years and it doesn’t look like many players will be running successfully on them throughout 2012. Greene should be good for 20+ carries and somewhere between 80 and 95 yards.
3. Let’s get this out of the way – Tebow: 6 carries, 34 yards, 1 rushing touchdown, 0/1 passing. After the rushing touchdown I expect to see a ray of light shining down on the swamps of North Jersey and the local sewage to smell of sweet roses.
4. Mark Sanchez – An efficient, productive game that won’t light up the stat sheet. Get used to them. 16/22, 195 yards, 1 touchdown, no turnovers.
5. CJ Spiller is the player on the Buffalo offense who is going to do the most damage, particularly catching passes out of the backfield. Look for him to rip off at least one big play that leads directly to points.
6. The Jets defense will sack Ryan Fitzpatrick three times and force a pair of turnovers, including one that results in a Jets score.
7. Mario Williams will have a sack in his debut for the Bills. However, Austin Howard will do a decent enough job to prevent him or Mark Anderson from taking the game over.
8. Stephen Hill will have 3 catches for 55 yards in his rookie debut.
9. Santonio Holmes will lead the Jets in catches and yards.
10. Dustin Keller will have a quiet game as he battles a hamstring injury. Jeff Cumberland will struggle with extended reps.
11.Bilal Powell will have less than 25 total offensive yards.
12. The Jets are going to win an ugly, defensive dominated 20-10 game. They won’t put it away until the 4th quarter behind their rushing attack and defense, which force a key late turnover.