To say the New York Jets offense has been bad this pre-season is an insult to the word bad. It actually might also be an insult to the word “offense” because whatever the hell they have been doing these past two weeks certainly isn’t NFL offensive football. The production has looked something like this -
- 0 touchdowns
- 9 total points
- 12 sacks allowed
- Longest run by a running back – 8 yards
- Starting running back Shonn Greene – 16 carries, 47 yards
- Starting quarterback Mark Sanchez’s longest completion – 12 yards
- Starting quarterback completions to projected top three wide receivers (Holmes, Hill, Kerley) – 0
What are a few things more productive than the New York Jets offense?
- Isaiah Thomas as a NBA General Manager
- Mike Francesa’s diet regimen
- Every DMV in North Jersey
- Bobby Valentine’s ability to bond with his players
- Time Warner’s negotiations with the NFL Network
- Chris Berman’s temper control in the 90s
It is very simple. The Jets offense isn’t going anywhere with a player like Wayne Hunter playing every snap. One offensive lineman can have that big of a trickle down, particularly when you are paper-thin at running back and wide receiver. Hunter’s struggles will prevent Mark Sanchez from ever being comfortable in the pocket and getting the ball down the field. The more Sanchez is battered, the more likely a quarterback controversy erupts. The more likely a quarterback controversy erupts, the more likely this season goes down in flames.
There is no glass half full perspective about the Jets offense until Hunter is replaced. I wrote it in March and I write it again now. You can talk me into the wide receiver situation improving with a healthy Santonio Holmes and Jeremy Kerley coupled with a growing Stephen Hill. You can talk me into Shonn Greene being okay if he is supported by Tim Tebow breaking off a few runs every week. You can’t talk me into Hunter getting magically better, particularly when the Jets don’t have a blocking tight end on their roster to help support him when necessary.
Somebody please explain to me why Chad Clifton, Kareem McKenzie and Vernon Carey all weren’t flown in for workouts today?