Check out TOJ talking Jets off-season at Zone Blitz
It remains to be seen how active the New York Jets will be truly be in free agency. Outside of bringing Sione Pouha back, they don’t have any of their own players who are major priorities. This team does have their fair share of holes to fill on both sides of the ball and limited cap space, which is why you won’t see many “big” names listed below. The Jets are going to fill some of their needs through the draft and not be able address some of their needs at all, yet through free agency here are a few names for them to consider.
1. Tyvon Branch – Safety – Oakland Raiders – A young player who has the ability to play both in the box and handle man to man coverage. He hasn’t missed a game the past three years, while LaRon Landry has missed 15 over the past two for those who want the guy with the bigger name. Pairing Branch with a 1st or 2nd round pick at safety, with Jim Leonhard on board at the veteran’s minimum for depth is a nice improvement from last year.
2. Robert Meachem – Wide Receiver – New Orleans Saints – The size and speed the Jets need opposite Santonio Holmes without breaking the bank. Meachem never posted monster numbers in New Orleans because he was one of about eighteen receiving options for Drew Brees. However, he averaged over 15 yards per catch last year and hauled in six touchdowns with limited reps.
3. Anthony Spencer – Outside Linebacker – Dallas Cowboys – The Jets need pass rushing options and on top of spending a 1st or 2nd round pick on one, they should add support via free agency. Spencer could be a solid starter in their system while providing more burst off the edge than Bryan Thomas could if he comes back after major surgery.
4. Vernon Carey – Right Tackle – Miami Dolphins – Carey moved to guard last year for the Dolphins but prior to that was a quality right tackle. He is obviously familiar with Tony Sparano and his system, making him an attractive, affordable option to compete with Wayne Hunter.
5. Tashard Choice – Running Back – Buffalo Bills – The Jets aren’t going to spend much at running back, if at all…but they could use another veteran to push Shonn Greene. Before having a falling out with Jason Garrett last year, Choice was a productive player for Dallas and the Jets should be able to get him at the minimum this off-season.