The New York Jets bombed out on the field yesterday and they followed today by bombing in a similar fashion off the field. In case you haven’t been following the news around the team —
- Multiple teammates have referred to Santonio Holmes as a “cancer” around the locker room and stated he “acts like a 10 year old.” There was disgust in the huddle about how he was moping around the field and the general consensus is that he quit on the team the past few weeks.
- There was a disagreement between Holmes and Mark Sanchez over the past week
- Bart Scott didn’t talk to the media today and flipped off a photographer, amid reports that he will be cut this off-season.
- Rex Ryan had a teary eyed address to the team this morning, pleading for better unity.
- Brian Schottenheimer is going to interview with Jacksonville for a head coaching job. The company line is that he will be back if he doesn’t get a head coaching job. I don’t buy it. He isn’t coming back next year.
So what now? Express all of your frustration and call for everybody’s heads. This team deserves it right now. It is one thing to have a disappointing 8-8 season. It is another thing to be a fractured, immature team that completely lacks leadership and character. This team has a long way to go in many aspects, which should make for a fascinating off-season. For now they have embarrassed themselves and lost much of the goodwill they earned from back to back AFC Championship Game appearances.
In retrospect a series of events this previous off-season is what laid the foundation for such a disastrous 2011 season. The failed pursuit for Nnamdi Asomugha. The decision to name Santonio Holmes a captain. Parting ways with Damien Woody and relying on Wayne Hunter as the starting right tackle. Replacing Braylon Edwards and Jerricho Cotchery with Plaxico Burress and Derrick Mason. Not addressing the safety position. The list goes on…The pressure is on Mike Tannenbaum this year.
Offense: Both Wayne Hunter and Matthew Mulligan are gone. I think we can all agree nobody wants to ever see those two guys in a Jets jersey again. How to handle Santonio Holmes is also a major issue. I don’t think the Jets are going to move him unless they find a surprisingly good trade offer and if they do move him how do you replace him? The Jets need more speed at receiver regardless of what happens with Holmes. Plaxico Burress is probably gone and the Jets need a split end who can stretch the field, similar to what Braylon Edwards did in 2009 and 2010. LaDainian Tomlinson is gone. The Jets need more speed at running back and need to come to realization that Shonn Greene may not be a feature back.
Defense: Safety. You are in a division with Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez, it is time to get athletic safeties who aren’t completely incompetent in pass coverage. Speed at linebacker is also a major need. It sounds like Bart Scott and Bryan Thomas are gone, so they will need two new starters at linebacker.
Outside of this team needing 3-5 new starters on offense and defense. A conscious effort needs to be made to improve the locker room chemistry. An emphasis on character must be placed on new people who are brought into the building. The Holmes situation has to be resolved one way or another.
In summary, a ton of work needs to be done to this team which finished 5 games behind New England in the AFC East standings. Unfortunately, there is plenty of time to write about all of it. We will break down the Jets many issues in the coming months, along with tracking the NFL playoffs.