Our last 12 pack of the regular season…a bittersweet time to look back on a year filled disappointment and many wrong predictions about our New York Jets. Regardless, we are going at it one last time, not just on the Jets and Dolphins but on the rest of the league and the playoff picture –
1. My original pick for this game was going to be Miami over the Jets in a tight one. However, today’s announcement that Reggie Bush won’t play has swung me the other way. Bush was going to kill the Jets on the edges and as a receiver out of the backfield. Miami will be more one-dimensional and predictable on offense now, and the Jets prevail in an ugly, low scoring 16-14 game.
2. Since I have swung my pick to the Jets and reflected that the fact of the matter is that before the year I picked the Jets to make the playoffs and I don’t want to switch on it now. I will say that Baltimore will beat Cincinnati, Houston will beat Tennessee (with every report being that they will play all their starters), Oakland will beat San Diego, and it will be Kyle Orton and the Kansas City Chiefs knocking off the Jesus Quarterback himself to get the Jets in as the number six seed.
3. In the NFC, Detroit will beat Green Bay (it is now being reported that Aaron Rodgers won’t play) and Atlanta will beat Tampa Bay, meaning the Falcons will be in New Orleans in round one, where they will get smoked. Detroit will be heading to MetLife Stadium to play the Giants, who will beat the Cowboys Sunday night.
4. Pittsburgh will beat Cleveland and settle into the number five seed. New England will beat Buffalo and clinch the number one seed.
5. Your AFC wild-card match-ups will then settle as being Pittsburgh at Oakland and Jets at Houston.
6. The Indianapolis Colts will lose and clinch the top overall draft pick.
7. Back to Jets/Fins – Shonn Greene will run for 85 yards, finishing with 1084 yards on the season, a fairly disappointing number.
8. LaDainian Tomlinson will score a touchdown in what could be his final NFL game.
9. Aaron Maybin will have a sack and end the season as the team leader with 7.
10. Darrelle Revis will have an interception.
11. Jason Taylor will have two sacks of Mark Sanchez in his final NFL game. Sanchez will finish with less than 225 yards passing.
12. I will not enjoy going down in a blaze of hopeless optimism, as I will wake up hungover from New Year’s Eve with this crazy hope of the Jets still making the playoffs.