Your mid-season NFL Power Rankings from TOJ, but first a necessary and brief rant
It is hard to mentally fathom the crimes committed by former Penn State defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky. It is almost harder to fathom the protection he received from the infrastructure of the University he coached at. It does appear now that Joe Paterno won’t be back next year and he shouldn’t be. It is time to clean house. Clear the school and every last shred of any person who didn’t do everything in their power to report the crimes they were aware of. This situation is nothing short of sickening and to watch an institution placed over the safety of children is a disgrace. Hang your head in shame Happy Valley, your reputation will forever be tarnished.
1. Green Bay Packers (8-0) – It is hard to think that they don’t have a real shot of going 16-0.
2. San Francisco 49ers (7-1) – They should have that division clinched any day now.
3. Baltimore Ravens (6-2) – It was huge for this franchise to get a sweep of Pittsburgh.
4. New York Giants (6-2) – Pretty amazing what they have done considering their injuries.
5. Pittsburgh Steelers (6-3) – They may have to go on the road in the playoffs this year.
6. New Orleans (6-3) – Some inconsistencies but they are hard to beat when they are on point.
7. New York Jets (5-3) – If their defense plays like that, they could beat anybody.
8. Detroit Lions (6-2) – Now in battle with Chicago for second place in the NFC North.
9. Houston Texans (6-3) – They should roll the rest of the way in the AFC South.
10. New England Patriots (5-3) – Incredible how awful their defense has become.
11. Cincinnati Bengals (6-2) – I’m not sold yet.
12. Chicago Bears (5-3) – Gutsy win over Philly will keep them very relevant for second half of season.
13. Atlanta Falcons (5-3) – A chance to assert themselves as serious contenders this week against New Orleans.
14. Dallas Cowboys (4-4) – A soft schedule will give them a shot to hang with the Giants.
15. Buffalo Bills (5-3) – The early season hype seems like a long time ago.
16. Tampa Bay Bucs (4-4) – The “Youngry” Bucs haven’t lived up to expectations this year.
17. Tennessee Titans (4-4) – They have 8-8 written all over them.
18. Philadelphia Eagles (3-5) – Playoffs looking like a long shot after killer loss to Chicago.
19. San Diego Chargers (4-4) – The awfulness of their division keeps them a contender.
20. Oakland Raiders (4-4) – See above.
21. Kansas City Chiefs (3-5) – See above.
22. Denver Broncos (3-5) – See above.
23. Carolina Panthers (2-6) – They will be fun to watch the rest of the year.
24. Minnesota Vikings (2-6) – Will be competitive with Christian Ponder under center.
25. Cleveland Browns (3-5) – How bad is that offense?
26. Washington Redskins (3-5) – See above.
27. Jacksonville Jaguars (2-6) – See above.
28. Miami Dolphins (1-7) – Glad they don’t suck enough for Luck.
29. Seattle Seahawks (2-6) – Hey, they are in second place in their division.
30. Arizona Cardinals (2-6) – How much did they pay Kevin Kolb?
31. St. Louis Rams (1-7) – Frustrating step back after last year.
32. Indianapolis Colts (0-8) – It is hard to think that they don’t have a real shot of going 0-16.