A few final thoughts on the Jets/Giants pre-season game, which will finally take place tonight at 7 PM…hope all you readers out there stayed safe and dry this past weekend.
1. It will be interesting to see how the Jets utilize Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress, Derrick Mason and Dustin Keller tonight, considering they will all finally be on the field together. Brian Schottenheimer has the ability to move the four of them all over the formation to create mismatches. The benefit of having so many quality receiving options is that somebody is going to find a favorable one on one match-up and it is up to Mark Sanchez to exploit that mismatch. After losing Terrell Thomas to an injury, the Giants are a little thin in the secondary so the opportunity for big plays will be there.
2. The Giants offensive line is in a period of transition, so tonight is a good opportunity for the pass rush to get after Eli Manning. Rex Ryan won’t be shy about being aggressive and it will be interesting to see if he gives Aaron Maybin a little run with the first unit in pass rushing situations to see what he can do .
3. Jeremy Kerley has been a few inches from breaking a big kick or punt return the past couple of games. I think it would be good for the confidence of the entire unit, if he could rip one off out to midfield tonight. Kerley has basically been handed the job, which says enough of what Mike Westhoff thinks of his skill set.
4. I’d really like to see what Joe McKnight could do with the first unit in a few situations, especially on a screen pass or motioning out of the backfield to receiver.
5. The hype has been fun this game, but ultimately the most important thing is that the Jets get out of tonight completely healthy. If you didn’t notice opening night is 13 days away…bring on those Cowboys.
6. Most likely to jaw at each other tonight? Bart Scott vs. Brandon Jacobs…Antrell Rolle vs. Santonio Holmes…Justin Tuck vs. Rex Ryan. Let the words fly.