Considering New York City has already dealt with an earthquake this week and will now be dealing with a hurricane of massive proportions this weekend, this could be an end of the world type preview. The game has been moved until 7 PM Monday night as the Jets will take the day off today. They will also now have to deal with only two days to prepare for their pre-season finale against the Philadelphia Eagles, which should be okay since the starters will barely play.
However, we are going to see plenty of both team’s starters on Monday, as they are expected to go well into the second half. The Giants are banged up in the secondary and have some questions at linebacker, yet their elite pass rush will provide a great test for the Jets offensive line, now finally fully healthy and playing together. Mark Sanchez needs to be aggressive if the Giants want to come after him and look to pick on their corners, as Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress, Derrick Mason, should all have favorable match-ups. The Giants have also traditionally had trouble covering backs out of the backfield, so don’t be surprised to see LaDainian Tomlinson and Joe McKnight targeted often.
On defense, Rex Ryan won’t hesitate to be aggressive, which will leave plenty of one on one match-ups for Eli Manning. Darrelle Revis versus Hakeem Nicks will be fun to watch, along with the Giants attempting to run the ball against the Jets stout front seven. I doubt we will see a hit that will top this but I do think the Jets can build some momentum heading into the regular season by having a strong performance against a quality offense.
Six Pack Of Predictions
1.Plaxico Burress is going to score a touchdown. As silly as it sounds, this the kind of the thing that Rex Ryan is going to push for in a pre-season game just to piss off the Giants. He will be in Brian Schottenheimer’s ear when they get into the red-zone to give him a fade ball or a slant.
2. The Jets starting defense is going to force at least one turnover. Yet, on the the flip side Mark Sanchez is going to commit his first turnover of the pre-season. Let him get it out of his system before the regular season starts.
3. Aaron Maybin will get work with the first unit in a few pass rushing situations, as the coaching staff will want to see if he can actually be a factor this year. His speed is hard to find but you have to worry about his lack of size.
4. Shonn Greene is going to get at least 10 carries as the Jets look to assert their running game after a poor performance against the Cincinnati Bengals. Joe McKnight will also get a few reps with the starting offense.
5. The starting offensive line is going to rise to the occasion against the Giants pass rush and keep Mark Sanchez clean for the bulk of the night. I’d be surprised if he was sacked more than once.
6. Greg McElroy is going to put together another strong performance, leading to questions if he should actually be the backup instead of Mark Brunell.