New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis put together arguably the best individual season in franchise history and one of the best seasons by a corner in league history in 2009. However, last year he missed all of training camp due to his holdout and then struggled with early season injuries. Fortunately, a healthy Revis began to replicate his 2009 success in the second half of the year and into the playoffs, giving hope that 2011 should be another season of Revis being the best player in the NFL at his position.
The shut down performances that should encourage that type of optimism were the following —
- Week 9 – Calvin Johnson – 1 reception, 13 yards
- Week 11 – Andre Johnson – 4 receptions, 32 yards
- Week 12 – Terrell Owens – 3 receptions, 17 yards
- Week 14 – Brandon Marshall – 2 receptions, 16, 1 TD
- Wild Card – Reggie Wayne - 1 reception, 1 yard
Looking ahead to the 2011 schedule, here are a few Revis Island match-ups we can look forward to —
- Week 1 vs Dallas – Miles Austin or Dez Bryant- It will be very interesting to see how the Jets use Revis in this game and who he will cover will likely be one of the primary storylines leading up to it.
- Week 6 and Week 17 vs/at Miami – Brandon Marshall – Revis missed one of the Jets/Dolphins games last year and Marshall did score a touchdown in their other meeting, although if I recall correctly Marshall didn’t beat Revis for the touchdown.
- Week 7 vs San Diego – Vincent Jackson – The Jets moved Revis all over the field the last time they faced San Diego, which was in the playoffs in 2009, yet Revis did come up with an insane interception on one of the plays he covered Jackson.
- Week 9 and Week 12 vs/at Buffalo – Steve Johnson – Johnson looked like he was en route to becoming one of the better receivers in the AFC last year and I would expect Revis to draw the assignment on him.
- Week 11 at Denver – Brandon Lloyd – Lloyd is coming off a career year, where he posted some monster numbers in a pass happy Denver offense. Revis was banged up in the Jets/Broncos match-up last year.
- Week 14 vs Kansas City – Dwayne Bowe – A big, physical receiver who is also coming off a career year.
- Week 15 at Philadelphia – DeSean Jackson – Arguably the fastest receiver in the NFL should provide an exciting match-up for Revis.
- Week 16 vs New York Giants – Hakeem Nicks – Hometown bragging rights on the line as Revis will match-up with one of the best young receivers in the league.