One of the byproducts of the NFL Lockout is endless amounts of countdown articles being written…positional power rankings, helmet power rankings (no joke), top 100 players in the league and on and on…TOJ isn’t shy about jumping on the bandwagon with a few top five articles to help us through a football-less June.
Let’s start with the top five Rex Ryan quotes…and no, a top five Eric Mangini quotes article won’t be coming shortly after…
5. It seems clear that right now we are the better team and we are going to remain the better team for the next 10 years. Whether you like it or not, those are the facts, and that’s what is going to happen…We are going to take over the town whether the Giants like it nor not, so those fans on the fence that like both teams are going to be Jets fans in the end. The truth is, if I am going to watch one game, I am going to see the Jets, without a doubt. We are better.”
Ryan hasn’t been shy about attacking the Giants in an effort to help the Jets shed their little brother image in the New York sports market. It is probably a fight he didn’t need to pick but it will sure make this December 24th’s match-up more fun.
4. “I don’t know when I’m going to beat him, but I want it to be Saturday night,” “Is it personal? Yes, it’s personal. It’s personal against him (Peyton Manning), Reggie Wayne, all those guys, yeah. Freeney and Mathis and those other dudes? Absolutely.”
It has been an ongoing pattern for Rex Ryan to put the pressure on himself before certain Jets games, most notably when they play Indianapolis or New England. Ryan made this year’s wild-card game against the Colts a personal vendetta against Peyton Manning, and finally managed to come out on top.
3. “If you take a swipe at one of ours, we’ll take two swipes at one of yours. We’re going to turn the heat up, we’re going to let the fur fly, and let’s see what happens.”
Ryan’s declaration about what type of team the Jets were going to be with him as the head coach…He has provided this organization with a much needed identity, which they now have as a physical, brash, team led by their defense and running game
2. “As much as I respect and admire Bill Belichick, I came here to kick his ass and that’s the truth.”
Ryan is constantly discussing his respect for both Bill Belichick and Tom Brady but hasn’t been shy about escalating the rivalry between the Jets and the Patriots. The best part of Ryan’s tenure is that he has turned it into an actual rivalry by leading the Jets to a 3-2 overall record against the Patriots, and by knocking them out of the playoffs.
1. “First off, with all the cameras I was looking for our new President back there. I think we’ll get to meet him in the next couple of years anyway.”
The first of many…many Super Bowl guarantees by Ryan, who has been defined by his unwavering confidence in his team. Even though I think Obama will get reelected in 2012, it would be nice to see Ryan make good on this quote sooner rather than later, after coming so close in his first two years.
Obviously needed to include these clips as well…