I will have a full review of Rex Ryan’s new book, “Play Like You Mean It” published at Gunaxin in the coming days, yet here are a few quick thoughts and some of my favorite quotes –
- If you are a Jets fan (which I am assuming you are since you are here), you will absolutely enjoy this book. It provides interesting insights into the team over the past two seasons and will make you feel like the Jets may never lose a game again.
- You aren’t going to find a bigger fan of Rex than myself, but this book has its share of flaws. It jumps around and can be repetitive at times (we get it, you respect Bill Belichick but you didn’t come hear to kiss his rings). Rex’s excessive bravado will make you roll your eyes occasionally, even as a Jets fan or somebody who admires his personality.
- Rex’s love for the game of football and attitude about life really shines through. Say what you want about him but he is a determined, motivated individual who has an ability to inspire people. You will want to work harder at whatever it is you are doing with your life after reading this book.
- The chapter about “Sharing the Big Apple” is going to be printed, copied and hung all over New York City and North Jersey in the weeks leading up to December 24th.
- Rex’s sense of humor about his weight makes the “Let’s Go Have a Snack” chapter one of the book’s best.
- Similar to what I said before, you won’t want another coach leading the Jets in your lifetime after reading this book.
Rex on Jets/Giants
“It seems clear that right now we are the better team and we are going to remain the better team for the next 10 years. Whether you like it or not, those are the facts, and that’s what is going to happen…We are going to take over the town whether the Giants like it nor not, so those fans on the fence that like both teams are going to be Jets fans in the end. The truth is, if I am going to watch one game, I am going to see the Jets, without a doubt. We are better.
Rex on food
“I’m huge. I love to eat…I just love tacos. Then there’s pizza and lasagna. Yeah, just pour on the carbs…You start and all of a sudden you forget how much you have pounded down because you’re having such a good time…It’s like at Thanksgiving-I love all that food. You get turkey, stuffing, green bean casserole, the cranberry sauce, the corn, then pecan, pumpkin piece, apple pie. Yeah, just line up the pies and keep them coming.”
Rex on Rex
“Let me tell you something: Just because I’m a fat guy doesn’t mean you’re going to outwork me. That crap about being lazy? I’ll take on anyone. Don’t worry, I’ll be there to put you to bed every night when you need to get tucked in.”