Follow Turn On The Jets on Facebook and Twitter (@TurnOnTheJets)
View the Jets current depth chart here http://turnonthejets.com/2009-depth-chart/
Obviously, there could be some changes in the upcoming days but for now…
The biggest surprises on the final 53
- CB Brian Jackson – Benefits from the Revis holdout and Rex Ryan’s desire to carry as many corners as possible at all times. He also played well in the final pre-season game.
- RB Chauncey Washington – A distant longshot when camp started but earned his spot through his tough inside running and solid special teams play.
- TE Jeff Cumberland – Surprising the Jets carried four tight ends but they clearly love his potential.
Weird Numbers Game
- The Jets are carrying seven running backs and only four receivers (until Santonio Holmes returns in week five). However, they can do this because Danny Woodhead can play running back and receiver.
- Four tight ends, as previously mentioned, is somewhat rare.
- Only six defensive lineman, not too shocking considering the Jets run a 3-4 and how much Ryan loves defensive backs.
Don’t Get Too Comfortable
- Brian Jackson, Chaucney Washington, and David Clowney could all be victimized by either the end to the Darrelle Revis contract dispute or the return of Santonio Holmes in week five. Also, I’d be surprised if Mike Tannenbaum didn’t find somebody off another roster before the season starts.
Enjoy Your Labor Day Weekend