Quick highlights of what is being reported from the Jets afternoon practice -
- It sounded like a much better session for Mark Sanchez who hit a handful of check downs to LaDainian Tomlinson and Shonn Greene, hit Santonio Holmes for a touchdown and had another long connection with Jerricho Cotchery.
- Linebacker Brashton Satele left the field with a leg injury.
- Vernon Gholston? Another sack…when did this guy turn into Mr. Augusut?
- Yesterday’s story of the day, Jeff Cumberland, dropped two passes today.
- Santonio Holmes came back with a bang, making a diving touchdown reception from Mark Sanchez and then catching a wide open touchdown a few players later from Kellen Clemens.
- Drew Coleman had his third interception over the past two days.
- Jason Taylor recorded a sack today.
- Nick Folk has been booming kickoffs.
The Jets organization better reward Nick Mangold and David Harris for being such good soldiers with their contact situations. They are in the final years of their contracts, have easily outperformed their current deals but still have showed up to camp. Look at these quotes:
“I’m a football player,” Mangold said. “Camp is what you do. You know it’s just one of those things. I decided after thinking about every option to be here and put my best foot forward and try to have a good time up here in beautiful Cortland.”
“I’m being patient and just getting ready for football,” Harris said of his contract situation. “My agent will take care of everything else. I love to play football and I love to be around my teammates. I’ll be at camp on time.”
Are you kidding me in this day and age of players holding out when they have three years left on a deal they originally held out twenty days for? Can you ask for anything more out of the best center in the NFL or one of the best inside linebackers in the NFL?
When the contract situation with Darrelle Revis is resolved, the Jets better remember to write a fat check to #74 and #52, two members of the core four who handled their contract situation the right way.