1. Follow Turn On The Jets on Facebook…Because you want those updates on Facebook and Twitter Thursday night with my thoughts on the draft.
2. Somewhat quiet news day for the Jets…still waiting on a Jason Taylor decision which could be coming in the next two days…Beyond that, it looks like it is time to sit tight and wait for Mike Tannenbaum to make moves on draft weekend.
3. The NFL schedule is coming out tomorrow at 7 PM. I want Miami on opening night. Santonio or no Santonio, let’s get Brandon Marshall his new apartment on Revis Island bright and early this year.
4. I couldn’t agree more with Quentin Richardson about Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett putting on the acting clinic occasionally and I am glad to see Garnett was suspended for game 2, you can’t be throwing elbows around like that.
Monday Night Jets Draft Thoughts
A collection of scattered draft thoughts that could impact the Jets
- There has been more and more talk about the Jets considering a corner in the first round, with Devin McCourty’s name consistently being linked to the team. McCourty was a popular selection for the Jets in mock drafts prior to the Antonio Cromartie trade but he could still be a good fit for the Jets in a nickel role and on special teams (where they need help, as I documented yesterday). Mike Tannenbaum constantly talks about how much Rex Ryan loves his corners and there is no way he is satisfied with Dwight Lowery and Drew Coleman as his #3 and #4 guys so I wouldn’t be shocked if the Jets pulled the trigger on McCourty if the board breaks a certain way.
- When I say the board breaks a certain way, I mean that if there isn’t a defensive lineman or outside linebacker the Jets really like available at #29. In that scenario you could see McCourty at 29 and then the Jets look to make a move for somebody like Ricky Sapp in round two.
- You would have to think if Jared Odrick is there at #29 the Jets will absolutely take him. However, I am not sure if they like him enough to trade up for him if he begins to slide into the low 20s. Odrick isn’t a flashy player but he would be a solid, safe addition to the Jets defensive line and improve their overall depth. He would likely start opposite at Shaun Ellis at end but has the ability to slide inside down the road when Big Jenkins eventually moves on.
Another player who I didn’t mention yesterday, who has often been associated with the Jets is USC defensive end Everson Griffen. I don’t think Griffen is as versatile as Odrick but he would be a good fit at end.
- If Jason Taylor can’t make up his mind before the draft, it obviously increases the likelihood the Jets would take a player like Jerry Hughes. Sergio Kindle and Brandon Graham probably aren’t falling within the Jets range but if either got down to 24-26, Tannenbaum could get itchy to move up a few spots.
- The only “big” move I could see the Jets make is trading up for Texas safety Earl Thomas, who in my mind would be a steal at any spot after #15. You know Rex Ryan wants his Ed Reed for the Jets defense and since Kerry Rhodes clearly didn’t fit the bill, maybe the big fella will be pushing for a move to get Thomas.
- When it comes to the Jets divisional opponents. I am hoping Dez Bryant is long gone before the Patriots pick. We don’t need that guy teaming up with Randy Moss and Wes Welker when he returns. I am hoping Buffalo takes Tim Tebow at some point (even they aren’t dumb enough to take him at #9 but they could move up to the bottom of round one or the top of round two) with the thought he is the answer at quarterback. Don’t get me wrong I think Tebow will be a valuable player on a NFL roster but I just don’t think he will develop into a franchise quarterback.
- Finally, as of today here is what I am thinking for the Jets in round one:
- Most Exciting Potential Move – Trade up for Earl Thomas
- Best Player They Could Get At #29 – Jared Odrick
- Second Best Player They Could Get At #29 – Jerry Hughes
- Sleeper Pick – Devin McCourty
- Most Likely – Everson Griffen or Hughes
Welcome to TOJ TV Throwback Week: Starting With My Reaction To The Jets Loss To The Bills This Past Season