I am currently on my spring break in Austin with a bunch of my college friends but I still want to get up a short post everyday on what is going on with the Jets off-season….
– Kerry Rhodes – Rhodes took a bunch of shots at the Jets in an interview with Michael Kay at 1050 ESPN Radio. You can read the comments transcribed here: (http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/03/rhodes-takes-parting-shots-at.html)…Needless to say, he sounds extremely petulant and jealous of the success of other players on the defense. His comments actually make no sense since Darrelle Revis and David Harris were the two best players on the Jets defense last year and neither of them were former Ravens. Rhodes can take his cry baby ways to Arizona, where I hope he can handle being the third best player in their secondary behind Adrian Wilson and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie.
– Brodney Pool – The Jets are showing interest in former Browns safety Brodney Pool as a potential replacement for Kerry Rhodes. Pool had 4 interceptions and a sack in only 10 games last year. He missed the rest of the season due to injury…sounds like better numbers than Rhodes put up in a full season of work. Pool could be a cheap option that will improve the depth and competition at the safety position.
– Thomas Jones – So much for the thought of Thomas Jones coming back. He signed with the Chiefs today. Jones didn’t really get much of a big money deal. He is taking a pay cut from last year and will make 3 million dollars this year. Unfortunately, instead of playing on a contender in a big market, he is now stuck on a likely 5-11 team in Kansas City.
– Leon Washington – Apparently the 49ers are interested in Leon, which makes sense because of their need for a third down back and their employment of former Jets running back coach Jimmy Raye. The Jets would be crazy not to match an offer for Leon and attempt to run the ground and pound with Chauncey Washington backing up Shonn Greene.
– How about Derek Anderson as a veteran backup?…Benny Sapp re-signed with the Vikings…The Jets are rumored to be receiving no compensatory picks this year, which is no good…Don’t underestimate the loss of Wallace Wright. It is hard to replace quality special teams players.