First a few updates:
1. As expected, the Jets added defensive tackle Howard Green back to the active roster today and Kris Jenkins was placed on the IR.
2. I sent my questions over to David Clowney yesterday and I am hoping to have his responses back by the end of the week.
3. I am glad the Jets didn’t make any moves at the trade deadline. We are already short on draft picks in what is expected to be a deep, talented 2010 draft class and we need depth on the offensive and defensive line, along with a pass rusher.
4. The game highlights, stats, and TOJ TV page have all been updated.
NFL Week 6 Recap/Jets vs. Raiders First Look
Wrapping Up Jets/Bills
Defensive Player of the Game: David Harris – Unlike his partner at inside linebacker, Harris has been productive in every single game this year. He racked up 17 tackles against Buffalo and another .5 sack. Harris currently leads the team in tackles, sacks, and is tied for the lead interceptions.
Offensive Player of the Game: Thomas Jones – We knew the addition of Braylon Edwards would open up more space for Jones, but 210 yards of space? Wow. Hopefully, TJ can keep it up this week against the Raiders who have struggled against the run.
Honorable Mentions: Darrelle Revis for solid coverage on Terrell Owens throughout the game…Dwight Lowery for his interception in OT…Leon Washington for finally ripping off a few big plays…The entire offensive line for allowing the Jets to run for 318 yards.
AFC East Observations
New England Patriots – The Patriots ran it up on the hapless Titans in the snow and are back in first place in the AFC East at 4-2. They should move to 5-2 after playing the equally hapless Bucs in London this Sunday.
Miami Dolphins – Anybody else got a bad feeling the Saints are due for a let down against Miami on the road this week?
Buffalo Bills – They are still terrible…the Jets were just more terrible on Sunday.
TOJ Top Five
- New Orleans Saints – Embarrassed the Giants and sent a statement to the rest of the league.
- Indianapolis Colts – They might be 30 point favorites over the Rams this weekend.
- Denver Broncos – Just a very good, all-around football team that looks like they are on a mission.
- Minnesota Vikings – Man, I hate Brett Favre.
- New York Giants – Got to work on that defense there Big Blue.
Jets vs. Raiders First Look AKA “The Turd Bowl”
The Opponent: Oakland is only one game worse than the Jets and is coming off an upset victory over the Philadelphia Eagles. After a strong early season start by nearly upsetting the Chargers in week one and then beating the Chiefs in week two, they put together three of the worst games anybody has ever played including a 44-7 loss to the Giants. However, as previously mentioned they knocked off Philly 13-9 at home last week, led by a strong running effort and a big day from their defense. Starting quarterback JaMarcus Russell has been under heavy criticism for his erratic play and lackadaisical practice habits. Also, #7 overall pick Darius Heyward-Bey only has 2 catches through 6 weeks. Regardless, the Jets never play well in Oakland or anywhere on the West Coast for that matter making this a dangerous game.
Oakland Raiders Starters/Key Reserves
- Quarterback: JaMarcus Russell – 68/149, 830 yards, 2 TD’s, 6 INT’s
- Running Back: Michael Bush – 48 carries, 179 yards, 2 TD’s
- Running Back: Darren McFadden – 47 carries, 146 yards, 1 TD
- Running Back: Justin Fargas – 46 carries, 137 yards
- Tight End: Zach Miller – 21 receptions, 354 yards, 1 TD
- Wide Receiver: Louis Murphy – 12 receptions, 174 yards, 1 TD
- Wide Receiver: Darrius Heyward-Bay – 2 receptions, 36 yards
- Left Tackle: Mario Henderson
- Left Guard: Chris Morris
- Center: Samson Satele
- Right Guard: Cooper Carlisle
- Right Tackle: Erik Pears
- Defensive End: Richard Seymour – 23 tackles, 4 sacks
- Defensive Tackle: Tommy Kelly – 30 tackles
- Defensive Tackle: Gerard Warren – 16 tackles, 1 sack
- Defensive End: Greg Ellis – 16 tackles, 4 sacks
- Outside Linebacker: Ricky Brown – 31 tackles, 1 FF
- Middle Linebacker: Kirk Morrison – 58 tackles, 1 FF
- Outside Linebacker: Thomas Howard – 39 tackles, 2 sacks
- Corner: Nnamdi Asmougha – 11 tackles
- Corner: Chris Johnson – 31 tackles, 1 INT
- Safety: Michael Huff – 16 tackles, 3 INT’s
- Safety: Tyvon Branch – 43 tackles, 4 PD’s
- Kicker: Sebastian Janikowski
- Punter: Shane Lechler
- Kick Return: Jonathon Holland
- Punt Return: Johnnie Lee Higgns
Key Players: Zach Miller is a playmaking tight end who is easily Russell’s favorite target. Ellis and Seymour can both get after the passer. Asmougha will likely be assigned to Braylon Edwards since he is arguably the best cover corner in football (the other side of the argument of course goes to our boy Revis).
Injury Report: Jerricho Cotchery and Brad Smith are still battling leg injuries and remain questionable. Lito Sheppard might end up sitting out again since he clearly wasn’t 100 percent last week. Donald Strickland has been out the past 4 games.