Jets vs. Eagles Post-Game Notes: I’m Effin’ Pumped
Just got back from section 103 at Giants Stadium (which didn’t compare to my normal home in 313) where I watched an impressive pre-season finale played mostly by the Jets backups. Why am I ‘effin pumped up right now? Here are my notes from the game:
1. First in the non-football category: Ari from Entourage was at the game, in a few sections over from me with a smoking hot blonde…good for him but I don’t think A-List celebrities go to fourth pre-season games. I guess his latest movie didn’t do all that well. While we are on the topic of females, is there anything better than an attractive girl in one of those tight fitting Jets jerseys with a pair of white shorts on? I don’t think so. I only comment on this because tonight was the type of game you bring your girlfriend to (mine couldn’t make it) or let your sister and her friends take the tickets, so there was an unusually high amount of female fans, many in the previously mentioned outfit…good stuff.
2. On to football, I know it was against the Eagles second team but Mark Sanchez looked pretty damn good tonight. He was throwing bullets out there, especially on his 27 yard connection to Dustin Keller down the seam (fantasy points!) and his touchdown pass to Jerricho Cotchery. It looks like he is developing a nice rhythm with both Cotchery and Keller, which is important since they are the Jets top two receivers. Let’s see how the rookie does when it counts in 9 days…yes, just 9 days.
3. Who can cover the Clown? Certainly nobody’s backups can….David Clowney had another one of his typical pre-season nights at the office: 2 catches, 103 yards and a touchdown. I really think this guy is going to hit a few huge plays for the Jets this season. He may only catch 20 or so passes, but they could be big ones.
4. Danny Woodhead played himself to at least a spot on the Jets practice squad. The tiny back burst out for 158 yards and 2 touchdowns…not bad at all. I still doubt he makes the final 53, because where does he fit? The Jets already have a player just like him, named Leon Washington and I think Aundrae Allison is going to make the team as an alternate kick/punt returner, along with adding depth to the receiving core.
5. Just watching the Jets in person today, I love the attitude of this team. I remember the season finale last year against the Dolphins…watching Miami come storming out of the tunnel, going crazy…you knew they wanted it more than the Jets, who just jogged out and around the field in pre-game looking like their vacation plans were on their mind…probably because Brett Favre had just given the worst pre-game speech ever. Tonight, when Danny Woodhead scored Thomas Jones, Leon Washington, and a ton of other starters sprinted down into the end-zone from the sideline to maul him. When Dwight Lowery ripped off a big punt return, Darrelle Revis and the rest of the defense was going crazy for him on the sideline and for the official to throw a flag for a horse collar penalty. After every successful offensive and defensive series, Mark Sanchez was 10 yards out on the field giving everybody a high five and slap on the helmet. This team has the right swagger, leadership, and chemistry to be dangerous.
6. Vernon Gholston looked pretty good tonight, he had a sack and seemed to know what he was doing on defense. Let’s see how he looks against Matt Schaub, Steve Slaton, Owen Daniels, and Andre Johnson next week though….Howard Green has had one hell of a pre-season…Jack Simmons can’t catch a cold…Either can Britt Davis…Jay Feely looks sharp…Reggie Hodges looks like he is going to be a problem…Dwight Lowery had a strong night.
7. The pre-season is over…thank god. In one week the regular season kicks off and a week from this Sunday at 1 PM, the 2009 Jets season starts in Houston and I can’t ‘effin wait man.
8. So what’s on the horizon here at TurnOnTheJets.com? Over the next few days, expect a breakdown of the final 53 man roster and the cuts the Jets decide to make…bold season predictions for the Jets and the rest of the NFL…my first game week coverage, whose schedule hasn’t been set in stone yet, although I am anticipating every Friday posting a video where I will make my weekend predictions instead of an article, we’ll see how the A/V staff is doing.
9. This Saturday: Muhlenberg at Wilkes: Go Mules. I’ll be there…cause yea I got nothing better to do on a Saturday except root for my alma mater.
Get Me To That Parking Lot…It’s Go Time